Re: [TowerTalk] Add on 3" mast brake?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Add on 3" mast brake?
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 21:55:33 -0800
I guess emails with attachments just don't make it, so here's a repeat:

Here's the story on the flexdisc ("Giubo") isolator: I learned about flexdiscs because my race car used them on the rear (drive) axles in place of CV joints, and this worked well, see https://sportsracernet.smugmug.com/Events/1970s/1979-Runoffs/i-CSKMk8q. Some interesting history is here: https://eeuroparts.com/blog/driveline-vibration-on-your-bmw-replace-your-guibo/

I adapted the idea to a mast isolator using the same smaller BMW flexdiscs BMW part number 26-11-1-106-113, as described on pgs 7-28 and 7-29 of my 1992 Yagi book. I noted that it's also possible to isolate the entire rotator, but that carries the shock force through the rotators gears. I used an inner vertical support bearing piece that was somehow overlooked when it was adapted for a commercial design. This created the need for separate vertical bearing support above and below the isolator, which wasn't emphasized, so the results of that particular product were disappointing. My own home-built isolators, with the internal bearing supporting the mast weight, are still in use decades later.

More recently I became aware of much beefier 110 mm flexdiscs used on bigger BMWs, BMW part number 26-22-1-229-065, and that's what I had Kurt, K7NV, fabricate for my prop pitches. The bigger flexdisc is available for around $75 to $90 at https://www.bimmerworld.com/Flex-Disc-Guibo-E34-E39-E32-E38-E31-Z8-BMW-26111229065.html or https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-drive-shaft-flex-disc-giubo-540i-840ci-740-750-26111229065l or https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-374255-universal-flex-disc/ For general info, see https://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-941-bmw-guibos-and-flex-discs

I sent complete drawings of the mounting and mast clamp setup to Kurt, and he had the parts machined. It has been up for quite a number of years without incident, although I expect that sooner or later the rubber disc will need replacement from wear and tear. I'm happy to share the description and drawings of the prop pitch setup.

I have also considered how to create a remotely switched disc brake, but haven't pursued it since the combination of DC motor braking and the isolator has worked out in my particular situation. One possible improvement that came up in my analysis of wind-induced antenna rotation is that a longer mast will reduce the rotational resonant frequency of the assembly, decreasing the shock force at the rotator.

If a large antenna were frozen in place without some rotational flexibility, I would be concerned about tower fatigue and damage. The standard anti-rotation guying (torque arm Stabilizer with double guys) might be a good investment, see https://www.3starinc.com/rohn_65g_tower_torque_arm_stabilizer_assembly_r-ta656.html; I have that on one of our commercial towers, a Rohn 80 that I also use for low-band antennas.

Dave, W6NL/HC8L