Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel 61D

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel 61D
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 11:56:44 -0700

I don't see how it would be the shear pin, though, if your antenna is rotating back and forth like you said.  Even a free spinning worm gear should not allow the toothed gear to move ... at least not very much and not very quickly.

By the way, I also has the same problem with my 61D due to the high rotating wind gusts I get at my QTH, and that was with less than 20 sq ft of antennas (OB16-3 and OB2-40) on the mast.  The swirling winds I get in the spring can push on one end of the boom and pull on the other ... the forces combine instead of balance.  My 61D worked for several years, but all of a sudden after being parked at 30 degrees it was swinging between 20 and 50 degrees.  I'm certain it was due to some broken teeth on the toothed gear.

I found a good deal on a 71D and haven't had a problem since.  That may seem like overkill until you witness the mini tornadoes I routinely get due to spring thermals.

73,
Dave   AB7E