Re: [TowerTalk] Common Mode Choke Locations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common Mode Choke Locations
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:28:57 -0700

I'm not trying to promote choke overkill, but look at it this way. If it is a truly high impedance CMC at the antenna, the shield of the remaining coax run to the shack is essentially a receiving antenna with an open end at the antenna.  If the antenna is a vertical with radials, the coax becomes just another radial.  I don't understand why there wouldn't be additional currents on the coax shield in those cases ... over and above the differential currents the coax is carrying.  If so, depending upon the circumstances, it seems you might want a CMC at the shack end of the coax as well.

I don't use one there myself, but I've often wondered whether or not I should.

73,
Dave  AB7E