[TowerTalk] Another DIY Air Wound Coil Form

To: Towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another DIY Air Wound Coil Form
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:25:03 -0700

I recently posted a link to a method of using a 3D printed form to make an air wound coil like the old Air-Dux coils and I still think that's the most efficient way to do it, but that version results in a slightly tapered form.  Other variables are likely to have at least as significant impact on the final inductance as the taper, but mostly for aesthetic reasons (as well as just the challenge of it) I tried to come up with a design that gave a coil with a uniform diameter.  You can check out the result at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6spyk1GRoo&ab_channel=DavidGilbert

Once again, I speak pretty slowly so clicking on the "Settings" gear icon at the lower right of the video to bump the playback to 2x speed might be in order.  A link to the OpenSCAD 3D files are in the description below the YouTube video.  Again, the files are parametric, meaning that you can define pretty much any combination of number of turns, turns-per-inch, and wire size that you may want.  Per a suggestion from W7TMT, I provided a hole down the center of the coil form (the diameter of which can be defined) so that larger coils could be turned on an axle.

For the same coil diameter, it is only necessary to 3D print one copy of the coil form pieces as long as the length is at least as long as any other coils you might want to make.  Multiple copies of the same coil require only multiple copies of the strips, and changes to the number of turns, turn-per-inch, or wire size also only require additional strips as long as the coil diameter stays the same.

For what it may be worth ....

73,
Dave   AB7E