Re: [TowerTalk] P3020-V1-CW360 - Hall sensor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] P3020-V1-CW360 - Hall sensor
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 14:18:57 -0700

Very interesting!  That looks like a very elegant approach.

I am trying to do something similar because I don't want to have to replace the linear potentiometer in my PST-71D, except that I am planning to use 18 discrete Hall Effect switches (A3144-type)arrayed in a circle around the mast (mounted to the underside of the plate above the rotator) ... triggered by a single magnet mounted to the mast.  I can arrange the Hall Effect switches so that the magnet always activates at least one switch, and when it is between switches it activates two of them ... which I can interpolate via the Arduino to give me azimuth in ten degree increments.   Using a 74HC4067 16-1 multiplexer reduces the wires needed between the tower and the shack.  The electronics works fine on my workbench ... now I need to 3D print a suitable container for the switches (two half circles that I can just wrap around the mast).

The description for the P3020-V1-CW360 specifically says that it has no dead spaces, so I'm wondering if the voltage that you are feeding from the Hall Effect potentiometer to the Arduino somehow caps out higher than it can analogRead.  Are you applying the 5 volts to the Hall Effect potentiometer from the Arduino, or from a separate 5 volts supply that might not really be 5 volts?  You have probably already checked that, but just in case ...

My other thought is that maybe somehow your code isn't handling the full 0-1023 range.  I am no expert at all (although my oldest son definitely is), but if you want to send me a copy of your code I'll try to take a look at it to see if I can spot anything. AB7Echo@gmail.com

Best of luck!

73,
Dave   AB7E