Re: [TowerTalk] hexbeam

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hexbeam
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:59:02 -0500
10 years ago I helped a friend put one on top of a 55 foot free
standing tower.  Rotator in the tower, mast extending only a foot at
most out of the top section.  The hex beam is heavy enough to make it
pretty hard to stand near the top of the tower and lift it up and
plunk it in the mast.  But it's not like a TH7.  I got the idea for a
gin pole.  We went to Home Depot and got a length of galv. water pipe
and a pulley.  I don't remember how we did it but my friend fastened
the pulley to one threaded end of the pipe and clamped it to a tower
leg (it was one of those stamped riveted sheet metal towers) so the
pulley stuck up around 3 feet above the top of the mast.  That was
high enough to lift it up and get it into the mast.

73
Rob
K5UJ