Re: [TowerTalk] ChatGPT

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ChatGPT
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:56:46 -0700

ChatGPT is often a quicker way to get an answer to a question than for example, doing a search on Google.  But that's because ChatGPT can simply pull stuff out of its database for the answer and come up with a reasonable aggregate response.  A question on history, or asking for what something means, or a description of something is a great use of it.

ChatGPT is far less reliable for solving problems, although it often gives surprisingly close answers.  If you simply take a ChatGPT reply to a problem at face value you will often be misled.

I have on a few occasions asked it to write a simple bit of software code and the responses I got were clearly wrong each time ... typically not be very much but still wrong.  However, if you know that the response is wrong you can tell it so and it will come back with a better answer.  My son and a friend once asked it to write a more complex section of code and it finally got it right after three attempts, but at this stage of ChatGPT's development if you probably need to be smarter on the subject than it is.

I once asked it a simple circuit design question and it got it wrong.  I would never base an antenna design or tower design on ChatGPT.

I don't have access to the latest paid version, so I'm only talking about the one that is freely available.

It is also possible to massively confuse ChatGPT.  I have asked it on three different occasions "how many dimes are there in a nickel" and gotten three different responses ... the weirdest being a full paragraph explaining why the answer was "ten".

I am totally NOT trying to demean ChatGPT or AI in general.  This stuff is amazing already and I use it quite often.  It is quickly going to get a LOT better and before long I have no doubt it will do what you want, but at this point it is far from being infallible.

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s.   I just asked it for the dimensions of a 2 element Yagi antenna for 7.050 megahertz and got this response:

The dimensions of a 2-element Yagi antenna for a specific frequency depend on several factors, including the desired gain, impedance, and beamwidth. However, I can provide you with some approximate dimensions for a 2-element Yagi antenna designed for 7.050 MHz (40 meters) using the following specifications:

 * Boom Length: 11.8 feet (3.6 meters)
 * Element Diameter: 0.5 inch (1.27 cm)
 * Element Spacing: 0.2 wavelength (approx. 9.5 feet or 2.9 meters)
 * Reflector Length: 20.3 feet (6.2 meters)
 * Driven Element Length: 19.3 feet (5.9 meters)
 * Gain: 6 dBi