Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendation
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:09:43 -0300
Thank-You Steve.

I don't think it would work here mid-winter.  I was somewhat joking about
the -40*C and snowing, but even at -10 or -15*C,  a 400' power cord won't
cooperate once it's outside very long...especially if I am on showshoes,
possibly in the dusk or near dark.  Heck, even in the daylight "in the
woods" (or even open field with 2' of snowdrifts on it).

I know you did say you weren't actually suggesting it for me.  Just offering
up that I have been wrestling wires in these climates a long time and some
things just won't work (or work very well) here.  I bet the VE8's and KL7's
and UA0's have implemented things I haven't even thought about yet.

Thanks for weighing in actually.  It's good to know what others are doing !

73 Mike VE9AA

I'm not suggesting this for you Mike, but I have 400' of 12-2 Romex with a
plug on one end and socket on the other, on a good quality hose reel, that
is very handy to use. Way easier than stringing out multiple 100' hanks of
cord that become unplugged every time you turn around.

I made it for using mag drills up on commercial towers. If I didn't have a
permanent buried AC cord out to the back of my radio lot, I would affix the
hose reel to a solid stand so that pulling out the cable would be a one-man
job.

-Steve K8LX