Re: [TowerTalk] copper tank coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper tank coils
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:56:40 -0700
Back in the last century I was the responsible engineer on the redesigned solid-state power amplifier for the Phoenix Missile.  We were really pushing the state of the art with the design. Operating at X-Band the final amplifier of the three-stage PA used 16 Impatt diodes in a cavity combiner. The diodes had to be well-matched for a number of parameters, which really drove our vendors crazy.  We decided to provide each of them with a Hughes-designed waveguide fixture and the test equipment to operate it using our test software (which I wrote). One of my guys wrote this up in Microwave and RF Magazine, August 1987.  We built the first copy of the fixture in our engineering machine shop and plated the brass body with plenty of gold over a nickel flash.

Then we sent the prints out to an outside vendor to make several copies to send to our vendors.  When we tested them we couldn't make power.  Try to not get ahead of me here... after agonizing tear down and physical measurements we couldn't find anything wrong.  I finally asked someone, "How thick is the gold?"  There was the answer.  When you send a drawing to a plating shop that only says, "Gold over nickel barrier, total thickness not to exceed...  you get back lots of nickel and one atom of gold.  We stripped the plating and did it over in our shop and everything worked.

Wes  N7WS