Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Antenna in the "formal" literature?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Antenna in the "formal" literature?
From: "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:57:48 -0500

More interesting stuff..

Here's what's probably the original patent (oh for the days when a patent was
only 3 pages...)
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2229865A/en

On Mon, 08 Jan 2024 20:36:50 -0500, "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com> wrote:

Here's an intersting one - can't find the actual paper, but it seems to be an
antenna with a bunch of traps spaced in a log periodic way.
I also found someone who had one with 13 wires and 39 traps.

The log-periodic trapped monopole
Show affiliations

Smith, C. L.

Abstract

The concept is being investigated of an HF monopole constructed of short
segments interspersed with antiresonant traps; the segment lengths and trap
resonant frequencies follow a modified log-periodic sequence so that the
hand-off from section to section through the traps is such that the VSWR does
not exceed some predetermined value (3:1 was used in the studies). Two versions
were investigated: (1) the 'free' monopole in which the segments and traps are
chosen such that the driving point VSWR is at or below the limit and (2) a
'constrained' version in which a nearly arbitrary limit on the height has been
imposed such as might be encountered in submarine antennas. In the first case
an antenna of perhaps 15 or 20 meters tall results but no special matching
network is required; in the second case the driving point impedance exceeds the
limits and a matching network is needed.

Publication:

In: Antenna Applications Symposium, Urbana, Ill., September 20-22, 1978,
Proceedings. (A79-24701 09-32) Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois, 1978. 7 p.