Re: [TowerTalk] Hairpin Match Calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hairpin Match Calculator
From: "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:49:36 -0500

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 03:09:25 -0800, Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net> wrote:

"NEC does use a simplified model for the "wire" - it takes into account
dielectrics and skin effect (I'm in the middle of figuring out what ZINT
does, which is the core of the "resistance and inductance of a segment",
so I can make a Python version that's not just a copy of the Fortran)."

Jim, carefully check the NEC resistance calculations. Many years ago a
knowledgeable German ham found an error and brought it to the attention
of some NEC person. He was never happy with the acknowledgment he
received. I assume the correction made its way into the code, but I
never checked.

>> The code in NEC2 and NEC4.2 is essentially the same - 4.2 has more precision
>> in some of the series approximations.

I found a free FEM program (code free, help costs) but it looks like a
big effort to get it going. Not sure it's worth the trouble just for the
boom problem.

>> Yes - that is always the challenge with FEM codes - the actual calculations
>> are pretty straightforward to implement, but a user interface that makes
>> entering the geometry is more challenging (hence front ends for NEC codes).
>> There’s also the whole making sure your boundary conditions are right, and
>> whether the gridding is correct.  At JPL, we’ve spent a fair amount of time
>> making software that can take models from the mechanical engineers
>> (typically as .step files from NX) and turn them into models suitable for EM
>> codes.  It sort of works, but we still build big mockups of things like
>> rovers to test on an antenna range.

A benefit of writing the hairpin code is that I'm now aware of subtle
magnetic interactions everywhere. Some not so subtle.

>> R.W. Hamming: “The purpose of computation is insight, not numbers”

For the hairpin Q calculation, I had been meaning to check loop
radiation resistance. I finally got around to it yesterday. Radiation
loss is below 1% of conductor loss for most designs, but I did find a
few cases where it was 5-10%, and one case where it was 13% for a
2-meter hairpin. More significant than I expected. So I added the code
and posted a new version. I did the same thing to my coil program for a
better comparison of coil and hairpin losses. I always wondered whether
a large, efficient coil that replaced a hairpin might radiate, but so
far I haven't found a case where the loss is anything but tiny.

Brian