To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 255, Issue 12
From: NN4TT Dave Clausen <nn4tt1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:54:33 -0400
">I'm pretty certain that the pros use butyl mastic"

"The "pros" don't use anything because they don't use UHF connectors.
They are working with Heliax, waveguide, or ridgid line and the lines
are often pressurized.  Connectors made for those kinds of lines don't
require all these wild methods involving tar, and tape and do more
harm than good by sealing in moisture.  stevek@jmr.com is correct.
The ideal method is nothing."

I'm 99% sure that the big 3 US cellular carriers plus every reputable tower
company working with Hardline of any manufacture working for the cellular
companies or anybody else that's doing microwave and commercial two-way
would vigorously disagree with you. I have personally seen ZERO non
weatherproofed coax connector assemblies that the "pros" put together. As a
matter of fact, that is part of the MOP for anybody working on my company's
towers doing two-way and microwave connections and they are inspected when
they're done. Two of the three cellular carriers that I mentioned above had
the same procedures in their MOP when I worked with them.

As far as the correct materials and procedure to weatherproof, I've seen
everything in this thread from correct to downright silly so I'm just going
to leave it at that. I would hope everybody can agree that no matter what
you use, the absolute number one thing to put on the bare assembly is a
courtesy wrap of decent electrical tape whether it's Scotch 33, 88 or
something else.

73
Dave
NN4TT

Sent from my fabulously new OnePlus 10T 5G on T-Mobile!