Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a Yagi in EZNec

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a Yagi in EZNec
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 15:31:26 -0700
In designing some Yagis to be built without further adjustment at a DX contest station, I experimented with calculating the shortening of the driven element tip to compensate for balun leads. As a simplification, I modeled the leads parallel to the element.

I just add an inner section on the DE that is 0.064" diameter and the chosen length of the balun leads, and then adjust the tip to get back to the base design SWR. I had thought this would show something like a 1:1 adjustment, but instead it turns out the tip shortening ranges from 1.5-1.7x the balun lead length.

In antennas that use the HyGain element clamps, I try to account also for the shunt capacitance of the mounting setup.

Dave, W6NL/HC8L