Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a Yagi in EZNec

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a Yagi in EZNec
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 16:10:03 -0700
I think this violates some modelling guidelines.

From the EZNEC manual:

1.

   The source shouldn't be placed on a wire which is shorter than about 0.02
   wavelength, particularly if adjacent wires connect at an angle.

2.

   The segments adjacent to the source segment should be the same length and
   diameter as the source segment. If placing it on a short wire, it's good
   practice to give the wire three segments to insure this condition.

3.

   Segments beyond the adjacent segments shouldn't be drastically different in
   length and diameter from the source segment and segments adjacent to the
   source segment.

4.

   Sources shouldn't be put on a wire which is part of a small loop.

5.

   It's usually better to use a split source at wire junctions than to insert a
   short wire containing the source."

If your DE has an inch or two gap between dipole ends, I suggest that the balun leads should be treated as a transmission line, in which case it's so short it doesn't matter.

Wes  N7WS