Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 20:49:54 -0700
On 7/25/2024 5:01 PM, Brian Beezley wrote:
That's a good use of the FCC map, Jim. I had completely written it off for ham use once I discovered that it applies only to the AM broadcast band. Values will be quite different at HF. But ranking 1 MHz ground conductivity by location should yield the same HF ranking.

I couldn't open the dropbox file -- it wanted me to sign in. But I do have some background on this -- one of my summer jobs while in EE was working for Pete Johnson in his consulting office using that map to plot contours of patterns we'd computed for directional arrays he designed. Those plots of curves of field strength vs distance on a log-log scale are called a "nomograph," and my freshman EE curriculum included a course in creating and using them.

This was in 1961-2. I strongly suspect that the map is at least a decade older than that. And I do think I know how the data were obtained -- by running radials (that is, measuring field strength along a radial line extending from an AM broadcast transmitter at a large number of points and matching graphs of attenuation vs. distance for measured data to corresponding curves that are part of FCC AM Technical Regs.

I mention Pete Johnson, because he and Carl Smith wrote those technical regs after WWII. Carl was better known as the proprietor of an electronics and radio technical school in Cleveland.

And yes, the data are quite coarse -- but I was able to say that conductivity on low HF is poor in that area, because everything around it is low. :)

73, Jim K9YC