[VHFcontesting] Differences between TX and MI

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Differences between TX and MI
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:48 2003
On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 09:05:46AM -0400, Mark_Hoffman@boces.monroe.edu wrote:

> You mentioned in one of your posts that there's not much of a difference
> between TX and MI - au contraire.

There are lot os diffrences - for one it is warmer most of
the time in Texas.

My point was that you get some E-skip, you get some "tropo/forward scatter
/ groundwave whatever you want to call it" - but you get some more than
others in the diffrent contests but the basic modes of propagation are
the same and I would chose antenna heights based on that.

Yeah - they would be fixed in diffrent directions etc. but the
physics of it are the same for TX or MI.

> In Texas, single-hop takes you to both coasts. Albeit, W1 and W7 are likely
> double-hop, but you still reach W4 and W6, where it seems there's a
> tremendous gathering of 6m activity. From MI (and WNY, for that matter) -
> single hop distances take us perhaps as far as western W0, W5, W4 and VE1.
> >From MI, they've got an advantage over us in WNY - they can reach W1s
> (endless pools of stations!) on short skip, we can't.  I've heard the
> N0LL/B in EM09 during contests for HOURS - and run across the same 30-40
> stations. Not so when it's open to W4 from here. . simple matters of
> pop/ham density.

This has to do with distance from population density not what heights
to put antennas at to work things.
--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."