[VHFcontesting] N9RLA/R 2001 ARRL September VHF QSO Party recap

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N9RLA/R 2001 ARRL September VHF QSO Party recap
From: n9rla@yahoo.com (Dan Evans)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:52 2003
*********************
VERY LONG POST WARNING!!
*********************
Hi Folks!

The Log is finally done!  Logging with a tape recorder sucks, but is a
necessary evil for a solo Rover while in motion.

Where do I start?  The September contest was a bit disappointing.
Everything worked well, but my score was less than half of what I was
shooting for.  Activity was way down in these parts.  I don't want to open
that thread again, but I would attribute it mostly to the thunderstorms that
were moving through all weekend.  Band conditions were pretty flat as well.
Many of the stations that are normally easy, were very difficult or
impossible this time out.  Here is the score:

            VALID  PTS/   QSO   GRID  BAND
            QSOs    QSO   PTS   SQRS  SCORE
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?   50 MHz ?  37 ?   1  ?  37 ?  13 ?    481 ?
?????????????????????????????????????????????v
?  144 MHz ?  77 ?   1  ?  77 ?  17 ?   1309
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?Grids Activated--Rovers Only ?   8 ?        ?
??????????????????????????????????????????????
?  TOTAL   ? 114 ???????? 114 ?   38?   4332 ?Claimed Score
??????????????????????????????????????????????

And the whole story:

I started this trip in EM77 just south of Louisville, KY, on site at the
Louisville hamfest.  Last year I had hoped to add a lot of FM QSO's with the
folks at the hamfest, but since the contest doesn't start until 2:00pm local
time, there wasn't anyone left to QSO with!  This year was no different, but
it did give me a good open place to park and start the contest.  Plus I got
to enjoy the hamfest before contest time!  I got everything hooked up and
working with plenty of time to spare, and started the contest.  The
equipment worked flawlessly, but right away I could tell that there weren't
many folks on. After about an hour I moved on to EM67.  I seemed to have a
good looking site in EM67, but couldn't find many folks to work.  I made
about a half dozen QSO's, then called CQ for about 30 minutes straight.
When my vocal cords started giving out [got to get one of those voice
keyers...] I figured it was time to head north.

I made a handful of QSO's while in route to EM78.  Most of these were on FM.
I don't operate much while in motion because driving and working the rig can
be a bit difficult.  But turning on the tape recorder and working a few of
the local guys on FM isn't too bad.  My favorite spot in EM78 is on a
hilltop just outside of Henryville, IN.  This spot has a great shot to the
south, and not bad in the other directions.  I worked everyone I could find,
and this was when I figured out the bands were pretty flat.  I couldn't get
through to K8GP over in FM08, and they are usually a gimme from here.  I
spent some extra time in EM78 because it is such a good spot, and then
headed over to EM68.

I activated EM68 from a hilltop just outside of Salem, IN.  There is a
better hilltop up near Brownstown, but it takes me about an extra hour to
get there and I didn't want to give up the time.  I worked a few more from
EM68.  By this time it is getting pretty late in the evening, so I head back
home in Scottsburg to spend the night.

I started out very early Sunday heading for Nashville, IN and EM69.  On the
way I work some more FM while passing through EM78 and EM79.  I worked quite
a few folks from my favorite hilltop in EM69.  Even though I had to ride out
a few thunder showers!  But at least the showers came and went, not like the
constant downpour I had to put up with last year.  Toward mid morning I head
north again.

I pick up a few more EM79 QSO's while passing through again, and finally
stop in EN60, in Noblesville, IN.  Contacts in EN60 were hard to come by.
Except for W9ICE, who I could likely have worked without the radio!  I'm
going to have to drop in and visit these guys sometime, they seemed to be
making the best out of a slow contest?:-)

By now it's afternoon, and QSO's are getting hard to come by, so I head a
few miles east to pick up EN70.  I pick up  a few more QSO's in  EN70, and
decide to call it a day.

On the way back home I picked up a few contacts while passing through EN60,
EM69, EM79, and EM78.

All totaled, I activated 8 grids [a new personal record!], and put in about
500 miles.  The rig was my Icom 746.  I used a deep cycle battery for a
power source.  I used my K0FF 6 meter loop, and a 4 element Cushcraft yagi
for 2 meters.  The antennas were on an 8' mast above my Ford Ranger, and
played real well this time out.

For the future, I'm planning some bigger antennas.  I have been playing with
several ideas for 6 meter antennas.  I'm going to try to stick to a maximum
of 6' of boom length.  This way I can leave the antennas mounted when I'm in
motion.  This is real important for a solo Rover, since trying to put up
antennas by yourself can be disastrous!   But I think I will head down to
the lumber store and pick up some 2x2 stock, and try to find some aluminum
welding rod, and see what I can come up with?:-)

Other than antennas, I really need to add more bands.  I could really have
added a lot of points with more bands, but that will have to wait for
awhile.  I spent  all of my ham radio allowance on the new '746 at Dayton
this year!

For the next contest I may just try to locate a nice "cushy" multi-op
station to join.  I'm not sure if I will be up to several hundred miles on
the road in January!  Although I am planning a portable operation for the 10
meter contest in December?:-)

73
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla