[VHFcontesting] W2EV Rover -- Plans? You don't need no skinkin' plans! :

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W2EV Rover -- Plans? You don't need no skinkin' plans! :o)
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:33 2003
W2EV will be roving around Southern Ontario Canada and Western New York.  If you
aren't in that area, then feel free to delete now. :o))

Bands: ABCD(E +IJK +P)
Power: QRO (200+ watts ABCD, 80-watts E, etc.)
Antennas: Halo (should have a range of two or three grids)

How to find me: listen on the bands -or- use BEACONet.25 (for VHF Contests) to
track me on a map on your computer as I move.  If you don't see my icon...then
I'm probably not in range (my BEACONet.25 station will be running 75 watts and a
2x5/8 wave vertical antenna).

Discussion: APRS is not legal for use during VHF contests (see "The world above
50 MHz" last month).  BEACONet.25 (for VHF Contests) is *not* APRS: there is no
digipeating, no spotting, no assistance of any sort.  No Kidding!

Using BEACONet.25 (for VHF Contests), one will engage in simplex communication
(just like what you will be doing on SSB and CW).  The difference is that it
uses AX.25 packets to "call CQ" and to engage in real-time keyboard-to-keyboard
communication to start, then -- when we QSY to other bands, we will use SSB/CW
to complete the job.

Do you live in this area of the country?  Do you own a packet TNC and a
windows-based compuer?  Do you have time to setup?  Try it out!  Visit
http://www.BEACONet.org and download the software (hyperlink titled "UI-View/16
Package.ZIP" at the bottom of the screen).  Follow the help files to set it
up...with one *crucial* modification.  Set your TX Interval to 0-minutes
(non-rovers lurk only to avoid having two signals on the band at the same time).

Drop me a note if I can help you in any way.  This is gonna be fun!

Ev, W2EV
--
What's cool in Amateur Radio?
http://www.BEACONet.org or join the on-line community by