[VHFcontesting] new rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] new rover
From: n9rla@yahoo.com (Dan Evans)
Date: Tue Aug 19 19:48:56 2003
Hi Marten,

Welcome to VHF Contest Roving!

You're going to have a lot of fun!  The other fellas
have given you some great advice, having a buddy along
sure is a plus.  Particularly if they are an
experienced VHF contester or Rover.

As far as rare grids go, I would focus more on finding
good "rover spots".  With just 10 watts out, it would
be a big help if you can find some good open spots,
preferably on a hilltop, but I'm not familiar with the
area you are in.  Short of that, any spot where you
can stop for an hour and make some QSO's, without
being arrested, will do in a pinch. hi hi.

I started out with pretty close to the same setup.  I
had an Icom 271a the first couple of trips.  Then I
managed to add a Ten-Tec 1209 transverter to get me on
6 meters for cheap:-)  You will want to add more to
the station in time.  I wouldn't worry about amps at
first, but try to get on 6 meters as soon as possible.
 After you get on 6 & 2, then I would work on getting
amps to get up to the 100 watt range.  Then you can
start looking at adding 432, and 222....  Yes, it
never ends:-))

But the most important thing is to get out there and
have fun!
73
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF