[VHFcontesting] Constructive Gripe--I Hope

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Constructive Gripe--I Hope
From: "Rick Robinson" <k8dxn@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:38:40 -0400
Well it's contest time again and once again I am missing contacts due to
lack of info. Let me put this to the groups and see what you think. My gripe
is operators who call and call and never once give out their grid while
soliciting contacts. Here is why I feel I have a legit complaint:
VHF and above contesting is weak signal by nature.
Directional antennas are the norm with a few exceptions.
If I decide to chase their signal by turning the antenna back and forth it
wastes a lot of time and sometimes loosing their signal in the process as
conditions are sometimes very brief.
I have been contesting for a little over 10 years and have made my share of
mistakes along the way but I have a hard time understanding these multi
stations and veteran contesters who operate like this. These guys should
know better and go over proper contest operating procedures with all in the
group. I always give my grid along with my call when calling for contacts so
that it will be easier to make the contact. This sure beats a min. or two
trying to get the call or other info because you don't know where the other
party is located and have marginal copy.  Let me know what you think about
this. Please no flaming. I want serious discussion on this matter as I feel
we all can become better operators with a good discussion. Thanks, Rick
Robinson. K8DXN