[VHFcontesting] VHF contest thoughts

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest thoughts
From: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:15:48 -0500
A few brief thoughts:
1. Why not make the June Limited-Multi category a 6 band (ABCD9E) instead of 4 band (ABCD), rather than restricting the contest for everybody to 6 bands? It would encourage those limited multi who now submit 3-4 bands to add another 1-2 bands.
2. As an active Rover for over 10 years, who has been through many iterations of stations and vehicles, it has been a growth experience for me personally, and those who have I have worked on the air, and have worked with in adding bands. Anything that restricts rover ops, scores, tactics, bands, club aggregates seems non-constructive. Separating them into different competitive categories might be a more effective strategy for score reporting and avoiding the angst that we seem to be facing about packs, captives and circling.
3. Competition and adding bands is good for radio in general and for contesters! Two super-VHF-UHF east coast single ops both added bands this year. (one got 5G on, and the other added 24G) Their apparent head-to-head competition is thrilling, and both of them chase down us rovers to make the contest fun and rewarding for us too!
4. The San Bernardino Microwave Society has introduced a weekend of Microwave contesting (2.3G and higher) for the first weekend in May of this year, which appears to give almost all geographies a chance at mountain-top operations and decent operating conditions. Although their format limited entries to club aggregate scores, the idea could be expanded into a full blown Microwave contest weekend, having single ops, multi-ops, rovers, and club aggregates, whether a distance scoring scheme or grid multiplier scheme is used. Perhaps this is similar to the consideration being given to the replacement of the UHF contest with a 10G cumulative microwave format. I highly suggest that any Microwave contest include bands from 903 and up.
5. I like a lot of different types of events and venues, keeping my skills and equipment in a ready-mode, and expanding capabilities and enjoyment.
6. After all the public discussions on the reflectors, could we have some kind of a referendum on potentially remodeled proposals before the committee makes decisions?
Rick, K1DS/R