[VHFcontesting] Don't destroy the little guys

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Don't destroy the little guys
From: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:04:23 -0500
Greetings,

Folks have debated at great lengths many proposals for rovers.  I note that
many are counter-productive to the honest little rovers, in an effort to
control several who manipulate for maximum scores.  Here in Canada you can
count on one hand the number of rovers operating in any vhf contest, perhaps
with fingers left over too.  We have nothing to the north to work so are
totally dependent on all to the south for good contacts.  We also have many
needed grids, some considered rare that I for one plan on opening up in the
future.  To generate more interest in rovering here, the contests must appeal
to the potential rover.  Having said that, I hope that nothing will be changed
that will destroy us little guys who love to get out to rover and hilltop.

I do note a total focus on the ARRL contests here.  The CQ VHF contest in July
also has much merit, especially for the new ham whose station is modest in
terms of bands, so lets promote it too.

Rovers must survive to succeed.  Allow us to survive.

73,

Bill

Email: ve3cru@rac.ca