Re: [VHFcontesting] [Mw] ARRL Jan VHF W9SZ Single Op Port QRP

To: w9sz@prairienet.org, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu,vhfcontesting@contesting.com, k9cu@yahoogroups.com,nimrods@yahoogroups.com, smc@w9smc.com, mams@w4dex.com,microwave@lists.valinet.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [Mw] ARRL Jan VHF W9SZ Single Op Port QRP
From: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:59:14 -0500
You do need a consolation prize--especially since you invested so much time
and effort, yet had so little "action"....and as far as operating under
adverse conditions, just remember that's why the ARRL made the VHF contest
in January--for us VHF ops to suffer--hihi--although mother nature was kind
to us here on the East coast for the first time that I can ever remember for
a January contest. All of us have had those frozen toes and fingers, red
noses and numb extremities. Having roved for the past 15+ winters, and
operated from portable locations in New England before that, we have had
those iced masts that slipped and slid, and I agree that the worst problem
is after the contest when you are tired and ready to collapse, then have to
break down a station, the frosted antennas and coax connectors and cables
and drag it all home, umpack and get ready for work the next AM---Luckily,
we have managed to survive, and forget the problems of past years and go
headlong into the next year's Jan contest trying to overcome all adversity.
Luckily, we have hit some solutions in our rover set-up to overcome the
frost, fatigue, cold and improve the scoring satisfaction. Be glad to review
with you off line! Congrats on your grit and determination. Self appointed
tasks accomplished are the most satisfying, and may that console you! Rick,
K1DS/R