[VHFcontesting] W0Z special events station--technician bandexpansion

To: <nlrs@mailman.qth.net>, <W0YC@tdkt.org>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W0Z special events station--technician bandexpansion
From: "Richard Clem" <clem.law@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:23:11 -0600
I just posted the following to the QRP-L mailing list, hence the references to
QRP.  As of Thursday night at 11:01 PM, all hams will have HF CW privileges.
If you've never worked HF or CW before and want to give it a try, this is your
chance!  I'll be using the special 1x1 callsign W0Z, and I'll try to hand out
as many first CW QSO's as possible.

If you don't have an HF gear (yet) and still want to give CW a try, I can give
it a try on 6 or 2 meters.  I don't have very good VHF antennas, but it should
work locally.  Just send me an e-mail and we can set up a sked.

73,
Rick W0IS

---------

In honor of the fact that, as of this Friday, all Technicians have access to
HF CW privileges, I applied for and received the 1x1 callsign W0Z from
February 23 through 28. Since there are now a few hundred thousand hams who
have HF CW privileges for the first time, I want to use the opportunity to
hand out as many first QSO's as possible.

I plan on operating on or near the following frequencies, starting Friday
morning at 12:01 Eastern time (that is, late Thursday night):

3550, 7050, 21050, 28050, 28350.

My main intent is to work as many NEW CW operators as possible. So if you
want someone who is willing to slow down as much as necessary to make a CW
QSO
with you, this is your opportunity. I will be calling CQ fairly slow. If the
speed I'm calling CQ is uncomfortable, just come back at whatever speed is
comfortable, and I'll come back at the same speed. If I have to QRS to 1 WPM
to make the contact, I will do so.

Even if you are unsure of your CW abilities, feel free to give it a try, even
if it means using a cheat sheet. In fact, here's the ultimate cheat sheet.
If you answer my CQ, this is more or less what I will send back to you (of
course, your call, and possibly the RST, will change):

KA0XYZ DE W0Z -
RRR - TNX FER CALL OM -
UR RST 579 579 -
QTH ST PAUL, MN ? ST PAUL, MN -
OP RICK W0IS ? RICK
SO HW CPY?
KA0XYZ DE W0Z K

Then, you just send whatever you are moved to send! (RST, QTH, and Name are
always good choices).

On the next exchange, I'll probably say something like TNX FER QSO and 73,
and
move on to the next one.

I mostly want to give the new CW ops a chance to make a QSO, so if you are an
old-timer, please at least wait for QRS stations to call me before answering
my call. If nobody else seems to be calling me, feel free to call QRQ for a
quick exchange.

I've been having fairly bad line noise recently, so QRO stations are welcome
to call. (Most of the new CW ops seem to gravitate toward QRP, which is why
I'm posting it here, but don't feel like you must use QRP.) I might be QRP or
QRO, depending on conditions, and how my tempramental QRO rig is doing at the
time.

I'm going to try to be on at the first possible minute on Thursday night, and
I'll be on the air on and off over the weekend, as other activities permit.
If you're a new CW op and want to arrange a sked (yes, some might consider
that cheating, but it's still a real contact), then feel free to send me an
e-mail, and I'll give you my phone number. Then, you can just give me a call
over the weekend, and we can try to make the contact.

One of the frequencies listed above, 28350, is the SSB portion of 10 meters.
If 10 is open, and if time permits, I might spend some time up there.
However, I mostly plan to operate the CW frequencies.

And even if you don't hear me, don't hesitate to put out a CQ at whatever
speed seems comfortable!

I hope to work lots of new CW ops this weekend!

73,
Rick W0IS