[VHFcontesting] Inverters for Rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Inverters for Rovers
From: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:04:18 -0400
I am using a Vector Force 600 (w) inverter with the Ham IV on the Rovermobile
roof.  It kept blowing fuses in the control head till I installed a larger
fuse.  Think it was more the spike from the brake magnet that was the culprit.

When using a Yaesu G1000DXA last year, I would not risk the control head
electronics on this inverter so ran it off a kw generator.  The G1000 is now on
the tower here, so the Ham IV was reinstalled today.

The Ham IV is obviously much stronger than needed for rover antennas, but the
security offered by the wedge brake makes it very desirable.  Likewise the
G1000DXA which does not have a wedge brake but very strong friction brake.
The rotators have never slipped, only the clamps on the mast have slipped when
driving.  Be extra sure they are tight.  Also try to balance the windload
either side if using a cross-mast to support several beams.

Rovering is lots of fun.  Good luck.

Bill   VE3CRU/R