[VHFcontesting] mast mounted preamps

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] mast mounted preamps
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 15:11:14 -0400
Les, N1LF,

I too am headed in the mast mounted  direction and it is not the preamp that
is the cost, but the relays and sequencers that add up especially if you run
power. I have used ARR preamps for years in repeater service and they work
quite well. I just purchased an SP-23 mast mounted preamp for 1296 and
bought a 2304 preamp plus sequencer from SSB.....BIG BUCKS and hope it is
worth it. I do not run real high power on 1296 (50w leaving shack) and 70w
on 2304 leaving shack. This puts me in the very medium power category at
this point and still have to use good isolation with switched relays at top
of tower. We might do a test before and after. I live in Wallingford Ct
(FN31NL) which might be a good test with ~50+ miles. You can reach me direct
with my call letters at arrl.

73's
Steve
    K1IIG