Re: [VHFcontesting] Post-Contest Grid Square Queries

To: "'Sebastian'" <w4as@bellsouth.net>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Post-Contest Grid Square Queries
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:20:01 -0400
Hello Sebastian,

What is spotting assistance?

I'll take a shot at it. I am not affiliated with the ARRL or CQ mag, just a
guy getting a lot of enjoyment  building up my station and returning to VHF
contesting after a very long absence from it, and trying to tune my
strategies and tactics within the rules and regs of the race.
Anyone else please feel free to chime in on this.

Here goes:
For contest purposes, spotting assistance is getting information DURING the
contest about the call, location, exchange, or frequency of a station to
work from some way OTHER than personally listening to them or talking
directly to them yourself on your radio.

BEFORE the contest, you can use ANY means at your disposal to gather this
info , and/or set up a sked.

When you are talking to them on your radio during the contest as Dave
described, and want to arrange to meet them on another band, that's quite
OK, even for a single operator. You on your radio is the only way to do this
during the contest.

If you seek or use information about contacts from someone other than that
operator, even if it's on your radio, that's not permitted for the single
operator class. It's not a sin to do so, it just means you are operating in
a different class for the contest and should own up to it. The method of
getting this outside help does not matter, be it from a packet radio
network, internet connection, someone helping you on the air, or a note
passed by your friend listening on another band next to you. An
uncomfortable situation that happens is when a friend on your frequency
wants to help you by telling you the grid square or correct callsign of the
station you are struggling to hear, or where to find that choice multiplier.
That's assistance too, and you honestly cannot act on that info as a single
op.

Hope this is helpful.
73
Chet, N8RA