Re: [VHFcontesting] 900mhz Commercial Conversions

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 900mhz Commercial Conversions
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:15:13 -0600
I went the GTX route before switching to a DEMI xverter.

One other thing to watch out for on 900mhz are any local "blackout"
restrictions. In the Denver area we are restricted from TX many of
the FM simplex frequencies that the GTX can be modded to run
on.  This appears to apply to the Colorado and Wyoming areas.

Here is the order:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-149A1.pdf

Anyone want to buy a pre-modified ham band programmed GTX?  This
radio worked fine for me, but I can't use it anymore in Denver. I
also have the programming unit needed to modify the "channels." You
can also find these units on ebay.  Finding the RSS programming
software to go with the programmers is pita and even then you pretty
much MUST have an old as hell laptop with an older serial chipset to
use the RSS software. Newer clocked PCs run too fast for the old RSS
software to run well in my experience. The yahoo 900mhz email
reflector is a great resource, dig thru the older email history on
yahoo for some good GTX nuggets.

Good luck getting on 900mhz. It sure does get out.

Thanks,

Eric kr0ver