Re: [VHFcontesting] Why don't you rove?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why don't you rove?
From: "Zack Widup" <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:27:36 -0600
My only vehicle now is a Toyota Corolla. Difficult to rove with it unless I
do some major constructions to mount the antennas on the car (which I
haven't).

I enjoy the QRP Portable Single-Op category because I can go to a hill which
gives much better performance than any station I have at home, and with the
antennas up only 20 feet on a temporary mast. My favorite hill is the
highest point in several counties in this area. It does take over an hour to
set up 10 bands, though.

I did try Roving in CQWW VHF a couple years ago. Lots of fun and I only had
to set up two bands each time I stopped. I'd like to do more of it some day
when I have a vehicle set up for it. WA9O showed me an interesting setup he
has for Roving using pvc pipes mounted on his car.

73, Zack W9SZ