[VHFcontesting] A way to make everyone assisted or eliminate log enhance

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A way to make everyone assisted or eliminate log enhancement.
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:06:16 -0800

If spotting was brand new and someone walked up and asked if we should add it
to the contest rules I would say yes because it generates more QSOs.  Our
contests are different animals than HF contests.  We need more participation.

That's why everyone should be considered assisted.  We could say portables
remain unassisted and make sure they are really portable, but technology will
make everyone who chooses to be connected to the internet connected no matter
where they are in years to com. So why bother?

The ARRL could keep the rules the way they are and ask and then shame the
spotting groups for not shutting down on contests. BUt that's against my
libertarian ideals.

If the ARRL made everyone assisted, then they could set up thier own reflector
or spotting page and only allow the call sign freq. and maybe the 4 grid
locater to be given via a database that rejects all else.  Also the rules could
be enhanced to include 6 digit locaters in all qsos as well as adding the QSO
number to be given with each new contact. Of course the log checking would have
to be updated to ensure it verifies that the QSO number given by station A is
the number written by station B. This makes each QSO unique with 2 different
numbers exchanged.

Anyway Have a good day.

Frank