[VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF W9SZ Single Op Port QRP

To: SMC <smc@w9smc.com>, VHF REFLECTOR <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF W9SZ Single Op Port QRP
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:10:13 -0600
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: W9SZ
Operator(s): W9SZ
Station: W9SZ

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): 11

     2:  17      9
  222:   7      6
  432:   8      5
  903:   2      2
  1.2:   3      3
  2.3:   1      1
  3.4:   1      1
  -------------------
Total:  39     27  Total Score = 2,241

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I had a premonition that this was not going to be a good contest. At
least it wasn't the worst one I've been in.

I got to my site, a hilltop in EN50rl, at about 1900Z and got set up.
I got everything going at about 2100Z but my first QSO was at about
2130Z. I worked K2DRH up through 2304 MHz. We couldn't find each other
on 3456 MHz.

My IF radio for the microwave bands has a feedthrough capacitor for
the DC input power. The lead on the feedthrough broke off right where
it goes into the capacitor. I took the radio apart and strung a clip
lead out from the other end of the cap. The radio sat in a half-opened
condition for the rest of the contest. At least it worked.

Conditions were weird on Saturday. I was able to work some people on
222 but not 432. I was able to work some people on 432 but not 222.

I went QRT at 0400Z and left the antennas set up at the site and drove
10 miles to Gibson City, IL to sleep at a motel. When I woke up I had
about a quarter of an inch of snow on the car and it was snowing. I
drove to the site and found the mast with the 144/222/432 beams was
still standing but the mast with the 902/1296 beams had fallen down.
The guy ropes were still holding the mast but the 902 beam was resting
with its end down in the mud. No damage was done and I put it back up.
All my antennas were covered with ice. I checked the SWR on the 144
MHz beam. It was 2.5:1, up from the 1.2:1 I measured on Saturday. Not
good if you're only running 8 watts to the antenna.

I made four QSO's on Sunday. I was able to work K2DRH on 3456. Then I
sat and tuned around and listened, alternating with CQ's. I didn't
make another QSO for 2 1/2 hours. Either the conditions or activity
was nonexistent during this time. I only heard two stations, who I'd
already worked.  By that time I was cold, wet and tired, so I called
it quits at 1900Z on Sunday. As I took the antennas down, it started
raining/icing on me. I heard there was some aurora later, after I
left. That figures.

I hope some people who operated Single-Op Portable in warmer climes
had a better time of it.

I ended up with about half the number of QSO's I made in the 2011
January contest and one-third the score. I was hoping W9ZIH would show
up and we would be able to work on 10 GHz. I never heard him. I did
hear quite a few other stations I'd like to have worked, but they
never heard me. One of the things you get used to as a QRP Portable.
I guess now it's time to fix the broken equipment and get ready for
the next one.

73, Zack W9SZ