[VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF N8RA Single Op LP

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF N8RA Single Op LP
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:08:40 -0500
                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Station: N8RA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN31  CT
Operating Time (hrs): 16

    6:  231    38
    2:  100    23
  222:
  432:   20     8
-------------------
Total:  351    69  Total Score = 25,599

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My terrain slopes uphill to the northeast which makes it difficult to get a
good signal in that direction on VHF and UHF. I already had 2M and 432
antennas on the highest tower because of that, but the 6M antenna was much
lower. One change this summer was to reposition a 6M antenna as the highest
antenna here. But that change put that antenna only a few feet away from the
2M and 432 ones, and I was concerned that coupled RF from one band could
damage the front end of another radio. I chose to solve that issue with a
pair of Comet CF-350 "duplexers" used as band separation filters with a
small dummy load on the unused ports. The one in the 6M feedline kept 2M and
432 out of the 6M radio, and the other in the shared 2M/432 feedline kept 6M
out of that setup. Their passband loss seemed negligible by my tests. Unable
to operate in the Sept VHF contest or the 6M Sprint, I was anxious to try
this all out. My qualitative impression is that it was a worthwhile change.

The contest got off to a slow start; propagation seemed to be poor and
activity seemed to be down,

When I quit for the night Saturday, the 6M totals seemed good but the 2M Q
and mult numbers were  down and they never did catch up to previous year's
totals.

Saturday had two brief blips of E's netting 2 contacts out to the SW and 3
to VO1. Sunday had a better showing of E's however even then they seemed
very focused and faded in and out rapidly. But their contribution to the
multiplier total produced a bottom line score higher than the previous two
years. Activity really slowed down Sunday evening and I was quite tired, so
I quit early, hope the bands did not explode into action after I quit.

73
Chet, N8RA