Re: [VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM-Only Frequencies?
From: STeve Andre' <andres@msu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:58:41 -0500
On 12/11/12 19:46, Les Rayburn wrote:
I'm excited about the new "FM Only" category that is scheduled to debut in this January's VHF Sweepstakes Contest. I hope that other weak-signal VHF
operators are also looking forward to this development.

For most of us, it may mean adding a higher gain vertically polarized antenna, more power on FM, etc.

My only concern is that it may be difficult for newcomers to "find" weak signal operators who are looking for them. The National Simplex frequency is off-limits, of course, so what frequencies will you be monitoring in your area? For distant questions, it's really necessary to monitor with the squelch off--meaning that it would be helpful to have two or three frequencies where weak signal operators could look for newcomers and casual operators.

Personally, I think it would be great if the ARRL had published "recommended" frequencies for the contest, but so far that suggestion hasn't been acted on. So,
I'm curious--

1.) What are other weak signal operators doing differently in this contest to support more FM activity? I'd love to hear about changes in operating strategy, new or
improved gear, etc.

2.) What frequencies will you be monitoring or do you think will be active in your area?

If there are no guides for frequencies, I'd look around the National Simplex
Frequencies:

  6 - 52.525
  2 - 146.52
222 - 223.5
440 - 556.0
33cm - ?
23cm - 1294.5

FM'ers know those frequencies so I would think that's the best
place to start.  Staying off the exact nsf is a good  idea.

For 2 I'd lurk from 146.50 down to 146.40.  For 440 from 445.0
to 447.0 excluding 446.0 .

Of course this is from my perspective in Michigan.

I think this is neat, having an FM only category.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en72