[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FM Contesting
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:09:56 -0600
We normally monitor FM frequencies and pick up a few points during the contests too--but I'd really like to see more leadership from ARRL on this front. For this new category to be successful, I think one or both of the suggestions below need to happen:

1.) The ARRL should publish recommendations of two or more frequencies that should be utilized during the contest to concentrate activity, and give a reasonable chance of success for the newcomers. Notice I did not say "restrict", "limit", etc---I said, "recommend".

2.) Drop the restriction against using the national simplex frequency of 146.52. That rule made a lot of sense during the 70's, 80's, and maybe even the 90's when FM was a dominant mode, and the NSF was in heavy demand. But alas, those days are gone.

If anything hearing contest activity on the NSF might actually encourage more usage of simplex, bring newcomers into contesting, and allow ARES groups a better
opportunity to exercise their simplex capabilities.

Sean and the gang in Newington generally do a great job--but I can't help thinking this is a kind of "half-measure" that should be corrected. It's too late to get it into QST, but recommended frequencies could be published on the ARRL web site, and the ARRL letter before the contest. Sean?

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID