Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] FM Contest Frequencies

To: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] FM Contest Frequencies
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:34:55 -0600

Jay,

I'm not trying to make any rule change. Rule 1.9 currently lists ten or more suggested simplex channels, and was drafted well before the creation of the new "FM Only" category.

I'm simply trying to consolidate that list into two "calling channels", with the hope that at least one of them will work nationwide. This allows the activity to be concentrated, increases the odds of successful contacts, and increases the fun for everyone.

Can you imagine being a newcomer to VHF Contesting? You hear something on the local net, or club newsletter about the new "FM Only" category, and then you spend all day calling without an answer on ten different channels? Frustrating and not likely to be something you repeat.

In some areas (like Alabama) simplex activity is almost entirely on 146.520. I think it's far better to promote two frequencies, than an entire group. K-I-S-S should be the rule when trying to attract newcomers.

Also, I've routinely made early morning contacts on simplex on .52 out to 200+ miles. The "local" simplex frequencies that are popular can vary quite a bit even in that distance. I think having nationwide watering holes makes more sense than simply "scanning" ten + channels.

I've got to program my FM rig to scan the simplex channels on a time-based basis (rather than looking for a broken squelch) as I expect many signals to be too weak to break squelch.

I'm going to encourage local ARES and CERT groups to mobilize their membership and use this as an opportunity to test out their simplex capabilities.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF