Re: [VHFcontesting] FM freq's

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM freq's
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:49:49 -0500
Ken,

If I had my way, I say let the users go SSB but it appears many others want FM to be rolled into the V/U contesting so in that light, why not. As far as what frequencies to use, calling CQ contest on 146.52 works for me considering contesters are usually hit and run anyways. V/U contests are only a few times a year and utilizing the simplex calling frequencies should not offend anyone as compared to HF contests every weekend. But of course those running the contests should make the rules and we should follow them.

cu in Jan.
K1IIG HF-3ghz

> Herb,

You are Dead Nuts on the money.
The K2LIM team has even sponsored a FM contest within all the ARRL VHF/UHF
contests for the past 5 years to try to stir-up activity, to no avail. Just
can't get the FM crowd to understand that you don't need a repeater to
communicate with one-another.
Now that the (behind the 8 ball) ARRL has decided to put in a FM only
category, we pulled our FM contest from our website. Let the contest sponsor
push it. (they won't).

And, what's with all the concern about what 2M FM simplex frequency to use,
Have you got a brain? If so, use it. What ever 2M simplex frequency is
popular in your area will work just fine. Just remember to pick up the mic
and call CQ Contest once in a while - pretty simple.

Ken
KA2LIM