[VHFcontesting] How to Make FM Contesting Succeed

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] How to Make FM Contesting Succeed
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:17:21 -0600
As the previous Section Emergency Coordinator for Alabama, I understood that FM Simplex capability translated into a greater level of capability during an emergency. Amateurs who improved their stations on simplex, also benefited by being able to reach more distant repeaters which is a huge advantage during severe weather.

Some "lessons learned" from cross-promoting FM activity during VHF Contests were:

1.) Tailor your message to your audience. I didn't try to pitch it as a "contest" as much as an exercise--when talking to ARES, Skywarn, and CERT groups. We encouraged them to test their ability to communicate without the aid of a repeater, as they might have to do in an emergency.

We also encouraged field day type operations from high locations.

2.) Concentrating activity in a three to five hour period is going to be more successful than just putting out the dates/ times for a two-day long contest.

Nothing worse than "dead air" to a non-contester.

3.) It's vital that weak signal operators monitor the FM Frequencies, and participate in those concentrated activity periods. I tried to utilize the afternoon hours on Saturday, when conditions are poorest---so that operators didn't miss out on a lot of contacts on SSB and CW.

But that doesn't work well in June when six meters is liable to be open.

The point is that weak signal operators often turn their nose up at FM---and this hurts the efforts. If you give a new operator a taste of DX, they may become hooked for life. Best way to accomplish this is to get those "monster signals" active on FM. If your local big-gun doesn't support FM contesting, then try to change their mind on the topic.

You should hear some of the reactions you get from newcomers when they discover they can communicate 75-100 miles or more on their FM rig without a repeater. Easily possible with a high performance weak signal station.

4.) Talk up the event on your local FM nets, club meetings, etc. Tailor the message to the crowd. A DX club isn't going to respond to the same "pitch" as your local ARES team.

5.) Poll your club and see who has 222 FM capability. I always make it a point to schedule contacts with those operators on 223.5.

6.) In the last few days before the contest, make a lot of calls on 146.52 and talk to operators there about the contest. They understand the concept of simplex, and use it often. They're your best candidates for participation in the contest.

Nothing in the rules forbids promoting the contest on 146.52 prior to the event!

7.) Don't get discouraged by the naysayers. The FM Only category is a great idea, but it needs the active support of the weak signal community to work!

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID