Re: [VHFcontesting] How to Make FM Contesting Succeed

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How to Make FM Contesting Succeed
From: beamar <beamar@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:32:12 -0500
A couple of comments. First, a significant percentage of these FMers, have
radios that will work SSB on VHF. Let's try and get them to push the USB button
on the radio, during the contest. Some small percentage of them might like what
they hear.
As to the ARES aspects of FM simplex. I am an AEC, in Polk County, FL, which is
over 2000 square miles, of land area. We hammer on  simplex coverage, all the
time. We try and explain to everyone that the repeater might not be there, when
we need it. During the last SET, we simulated a repeater outage. Things worked
better than we thought, but, there is still a lot of room for improvement in
base station antennas. We have also tried to point out the advantages of SSB to
handle traffic, in a large county, like Polk. Maybe some of these guys that
won't put up an antenna for ARES, will put one up for a contest?
--
Buddy WB4OMG