Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 129, Issue 26

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 129, Issue 26
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:34:48 -0400
So the guy with the best internet connection has a big advantage. I do not have any internet in my shack at this time, so that would now be a problem for me. EME contests are now pretty crazy. If you are not connected to a high speed internet connection and a chat page, you might just as well go watch TV or try bungee jumping. I tried digital EME in an EME contest and only worked K1JT. He had MAP65 running and his computer deciphered my call right away as soon as I called CQ. I worked K1JT and then I proceeded to call CQ and tail end other stations I heard, but never made any contacts in the hour or so of good moontime near my moonset. I could hear my echo just fine. Because K1JT did not post my frequency and call, I did not exist. I think as computer technology makes more things possible, we will run into even more difficult operating dilemmas. MAP65 and the HF skimmers have turned many things upside down. I really believe that VHF and HF are different animals, BUT, I also think that using internet assistance should put you in at least a different category than someone who does not use it. I also think that internet chat pages and propagation pages are detrimental to some aspects of VHF. We should be on the bands, checking the conditions and making noise. Too many of us (myself included) now are guilty of monitoring DX clusters and APRS and Hepburn maps only, rather than producing activity by actually being on the air! No activity means no influx of new VHFers. No new VHFers means that our scores will continue to drop in each VHF contest. It has gotten so bad here in Maine, that I put together a 160 and 10 meter station recently so I could make a few contacts! I was starting to forget what radio signals sounded like. Rather than argue about assistance vs non-assistance, we should be trying to build activity so that we can make many contacts all on our own. KA1ZE started a "205 Morning Group" from Western PA, that was and still is a shot in the arm for activity on 144 MHz. Every morning there is a group that gets on looking for DX, and everyone knows that it is possible to work someone on 2 meter SSB then. We need to build upon that. This morning I heard activity from Nova Scotia to North Carolina and Ohio to Ontario & Quebec. That activity begat more activity on 222, 432, 1296 and 2304. It sure beats watching a computer monitor for propagation hints.
Dave K1WHS

-----Original Message----- From: Todd