Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903

To: "'Herb Krumich'" <wa2fgk@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903
From: "Terry" <w8zn54@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:00:18 -0500
Hi Herb,

Back when we first got the band, 903 was quieter in the east. I lived
outside Cincinnati at the time and crud from cellular was lower at 903. I
had a home brew  crystal controlled cw transmitter on 903.072 so that's
where I operated.  However as I remember, to the west it wasn't the same and
west of the Mississippi folks stuck to 902. Fast forward almost 30 years
later (am I really that old?!?!?) and at K8GP, about 40 miles west and north
of D.C., 903 is pretty bad and 902 is much quieter. This past January, Andy,
K1RA and I took the K8GP show on the road and without exception, 902 was
CLEARLY quieter by LARGE margins, sometimes 3-6 S units!!!! At every
location we were at.

Everyone that has 900 MHz gear needs to figure out how to operate both until
everyone switches. If your transverter is set up with a 144=903, figure out
how to get your 2m rig to operate at 143, maybe a MARS mod. Some rigs will
do it with minimal effort. Or change the crystal in the transverter so
144=902, then you can operate both. I'm sure Steve has the proper crystals
for all the DEMI stuff. NTMS copied the LT33 transverter many years ago and
maybe there are some crystals around for those. If you use an intermediate
2m transverter, either change the crystal in the 2m unit or set up your HF
rig to cover 27 MHz, which EVERYONE knows is pretty easy!!

There are plenty of "elmers" out there so if you have a 903 transverter that
won't operate at 902 because your IF won't go, reach out to someone for
assistance and lets all move to 902. The 900 band is a very good band,
better propagation and less loss than 1296. Power is WAY easier to come by
with all the analog cellular stuff around.

Terry, W8ZN