Re: [VHFcontesting] W8ZN going MAD

To: microwave@lists.eclectechs.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net, k4to@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] W8ZN going MAD
From: w8zn54@verizon.net
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:37:00 -0600 (CST)
Well, as the saying goes, "the best laid plans of mice and men!" Was up at 5
AM, out of the house by 5:30, found gas for $3.09 in Front Royal, had a nice
breakfast at the local Micky Dee's AND Skyline drive was open!!! From there it
went down hill. Got everything set up and immediately was suspicious of 2m, not
much noise and the WA1ZMS beacon was maybe S1-2. Barely heard KA1ZE and K1RZ
was only s9+20, normally he is S9+50!!! Inbetween swapping connections inside,
worked K1RZ and N3RG through 1296. Climbed up on the roof and was able to swap
the feedline from the 6m MOXON with the 2m beam and presto!! Now had good band
noise and the ZMS beacon was up to S9!!! The joy was short lived however, the
first call to K1RZ just yielded a solid output indication on the meter of the
IC7000. Either the amp was damaged by the defective cable or now that all the
RF was getting to the antenna, RF was getting back into something causing the
rig to oscillate.

Soooooooo, without 2m which as everyone knows is VERY important, I decided to
bag it and head home.

Thanks to everyone who was on the band looking, I will be out next month and
guarantee the 2m station will work better!!!

Terry Price
W8ZN - ex K8ISK/WD8ISK
1.8 MHZ - 47 GHz - FM18dv
Member of the K8GP Contest Group