[VHFcontesting] 144 MHz Fall Sprint - WA4ZKO EM78

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 144 MHz Fall Sprint - WA4ZKO EM78
From: Jeff Thomas <wa4zko@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:51:02 -0400

This little entry should help make some feel better about their logs ;-)

144 MHz Fall Sprint Results

Call:  WA4ZKO
Class: Single Op
QTH:   EM78PP
Operating Time:  2.5 hrs
QSOs:  9
Grids: 8
Score: 72
States:  6 (KY, OH, IN, VA, MI, GA)
NOTES: 120w to 10 elements at 58'

Activity was about what I expected for a Fall Sprint around this part of the
country, slim pickins ;-)  9 Qs, 8 grids, 6 states kind of tells the story,
LOL. The usual crew around the Cincy Dayton areas seemed MIA and that hurts.  I
think N9TZL /4 and myself were it for activity in Kentucky.

I didn't get started till around 7:30pm and operated off and on as I had
 other projects going on. Probably spent a total of 2.5 hours on the
air. Did a a mix of hunt-n-pounce operating and some extended CQing that
 gave the rotor a good workout.

Conditions seemed flat in most directions, but there was some real nice
enhancement off to the south into northwestern Georgia where I worked K4CKS
EM74 and KX4R (EM73) at 313 and 326 miles respectively. Best DX of the night
was W3IP over in Virginia (FM19) at 368 miles. W3IP was weak here, but the NW
Georgia stations were both booming in nicely. Shame there wasn't more folks on
the air down in the northern GA/AL areas. Nothing earthshattering for sure, but
enough to keep it interesting.

Oh well, I had fun, and got a project done in the shop while monitoring. These
Sprints seem to fit my limited contesting time better than the big weekend
contests.

73
Jeff
WA4ZKO