[VHFcontesting] FN55 rebuilding

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FN55 rebuilding
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 19:24:21 -0400
So there is no cure. I stayed away from VHF for 10 years but I could never get it out of my mind. I felt depressed every time there was a VHF contest or band opening and I wasn't there!

I very much enjoyed working the June VHF and CQ VHF contests on 2 meters with a very marginal setup. I was more than a little surprised by what I can work with practically nothing from a marginal location.

Things to come:

By September I should have 5 to 6 dB more antenna gain on 2 meters. I am still wavering a little, but almost certain I am going to be converting my 6 meter amplifier back to its original band, 2 meters. This will give me legal limit on 2 but reduce 6 to 100 watts for the foreseeable future.

By September I will probably have a marginal presence on 222, with improvements to come in the future. I just finished bench checking a 222 transverter which is 100% ready to go. I need to build an antenna and some reasonably non-aggravating IF switching scheme.

I have a 1296 transverter in hand but it is going to take some effort to get going on that band. It almost certainly won't happen until 2017.

I am very grateful to those who recently came to my aid in acquiring equipment and working the bugs (BUGs?) out of drilling round booms. I am on my way back...

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf