[VHFcontesting] 1296 help sought

To: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 1296 help sought
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 07:41:01 -0400
I am venturing into new territory and could really use some help.

To those in the northeast, particularly New England: What is the typical maximum distance you can work on 1296 during a contest, assuming no major tropo event? How much power do you have at the antenna? How much antenna gain? Is this from a hill/mountain, or a typical less-than-ideal home QTH?

Hopefully your answers will help guide me in making decisions for my station. 1296 is going to be a big challenge from way up here and on a budget. I can't afford to make mistakes so I need to get some idea what my power/gain target should be.

Thanks,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf