[VHFcontesting] W9RM 2M SPRINT

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W9RM 2M SPRINT
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 09:38:02 -0600
2M Spring Sprint
W9RM DM58

0 x 0 => ....zero !

Well, I was on right at 7 PM local to support the contest but few others in
range were, not that it was any great surprise.  A few "high"lights
include, CQing toward Denver for 10 minutes with no results, followed by
CQing to ABQ  with no results, followed by an attempt with DN41 on both CW
and FT8, with little to no signal to speak of, then trying to work a CQing
DM65 station on FT8 who answered my first call (I would hope so, since he
was 20-over...) and then must have had a sequencing problem or something
since we went back and forth for 5 minutes, him sending a "roger" with grid
and me sending RRR until I just gave up (did I mention he was 20-over ?)
Maybe it was bad multi-path over the mountains or something, which can
really screw up 2M, but I didn't notice any real issue on this end.

I finished out the 1st hour trying to work WQ5S on M/S, but rocks are
terrible that time of day and we didn't complete after 15 minutes.  That
dropped all the rest of the wind from my sails and I retreated back to the
house.  I think this was the first 2M Sprint I've attempted with -0- as a
result.  And, here I thought the VHF bands couldn't get worse, locally...

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.