[VHFcontesting] IOS mapping apps for ham radio

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "WesternCanadaWeakSignal@groups.io" <WesternCanadaWeakSignal@groups.io>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] IOS mapping apps for ham radio
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 17:29:17 -0700
Hi:

Does anyone have any suggestions re currently available  IOS applications that
can display the units current location on maps and satellite imagery (while out
of cellular coverage) and provide Maidenhead grid square locations in real
time.  Being able to quickly and easily email current locations would be a nice
feature as well.   (I often use this while traveling to keep track of
interesting locations.   Later I can open my email in box and review those
locations.)

I am currently running a legacy app that meets my needs but it reportedly won't
run on newer IOS versions.   At some point soon I expect I am going to want to
get a new iPhone and or upgrade the iOS on my old one.

I have become quite used to using this legacy app both for radio and non radio
outdoor activities.   I do own a handheld GPS unit that can directly display
positions in the Maidenhead Grid format but it is handy to be able to do
everything on my iPhone.  Being able to see my location in real time on a
combined map and satellite photo has also proven very useful on occasion.

I figure I can't be the only amateur radio operator who sees the value in such
an app.   At this point I am thinking of keeping my current iPhone going just
to run this app, but I hope there is another solution.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mark Spencer
mark@alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099