[VHFcontesting] Brief 50.313 Mhz & Up Sitrep From DM04

To: PNWVHFS@googlegroups.com, wswss@mailman.qth.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Brief 50.313 Mhz & Up Sitrep From DM04
From: peter h via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 14:08:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Thursday evening, just as the Summer Sporadic E Season is petering out,
SoCal was treated to a nice 2 hour opening to JA-land, with occasional decodes
from KL7HBK on the Kenai Peninsula, & a few W7s. I worked a couple of JAs &
practiced calling Alaska.
The ARRL's 222 MHz & Up Contest will be held this weekend and the weather is
projected to be 98F on Saturday, with a huge temperature drop to 90F on Sunday.
Northeasterly Santa Ana winds are forecast for mid day. A number of Ventura
County operators (DM04) probably will get on the air to make some 70cm
contacts, now that they have tried out VHF operating during Field Day 2020 and
the CQ VHF Contest. Through the rumor machine, I've heard that most SW Division
contesters are not going to get on the air for this contest, but are planning
to operate in the mid August 10 GHz & up event instead. I do not hold out high
hopes from much in the way of DX, but hope that I am able to work a bunch of
local stations from several minor hilltops near Thousand Oaks.I plan to operate
on 135cm, 70cm, 33cm, & 23cm (222.1USB/223.5FM; 432.1USB/446.0FM; 927.5FM; &
1296.1USB/1294.5FM). I tentatively plan to do some operating just after 11 AM
on Saturday; some before dusk on Saturday; and most of Sunday morning until 11
AM. (Contest runs 11AM Sat - 11AM Sun). Good Luck to all.
bt73Pete, N6ZE in DM04ne today