Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Tuesday night is 222 Night!

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] Tuesday night is 222 Night!
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:01:58 -0500
That is quite a list, Ron!

    I quit a few minutes before 9PM on 222, as my feet were getting very cold, parked on that cold floor in the shack building. By 9 PM, the room was at 60 degrees but the floor was still at about 32 degrees.  I started before 23:30 and worked I worked the same crew but missed W1 JackRabbit and W2BVH. I think I heard Lennie in there but we never connected.  I was tickled pink to hear a whisper of WA3EOQ at 502 miles for a neat contact plus KO4YC at about 525 miles in VA. Cornell was pretty good copy on CW. I did work W9KXI in FN12 on SSB. He managed to fix his 222 PA and was back on again.  KA2LIM was worked several times and he had a huge signal over S9 at times! That was strange as the typical conditions were really bad out that way. K2DLL/b in FN23 in NY, was quite weak for the most part. Everybody was remarking about the huge QSB. N1DPM said I went from 59+40 to close to the noise level!!

My 222 antenna problems continue, and I got to use my broken antenna last night, and it seemed to work better than nothing! If I had to guess, I would say it is maybe 2 dB down from what it ought to be. The good news is that the VSWR is OK, so even though one of the yagis is broken in half, it is still accepting power. I climbed up to the 100 ft level this afternoon to rig the tower with a rope and pulley and tried to come up with a plan to repair it in place. I am hoping I can slide the array sideways on the elevation rotator, and then loosen the vertical mast member and side it down a few feet to reach that top yagi. It all depends on whether we can slide the array sideways. Your good Lithuanian buddy Al WA1T, will be helping me tomorrow if the wx is OK. There might be rain & snow so it looks iffy!

Thanks to all who managed to get on the band last night.  K7ND was banging away in the PNW. He had lots of activity there and did work Larry,  W7IUV  located in the middle of Washington State. That was Larry's only 222 contact.  Is can be discouraging with very low activity, but we just have to keep trying.  W7IUV was an early 144 MHz moonbouncer back when CW was THE mode.  AJ6T was making noise in Tennessee and was trying with AA9MY and W5EME way down in Louisiana.  It seems there is often good tropo in those parts of the southern Mississippi valley.

Hopefully I can be back next week.

73

Dave K1WHS