Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: wz1v@sbcglobal.net, newsvhf@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:29:34 -0400
Thanks for being there and making noise on  222, Ron.

Good Buddy Ron has been a fixture on Tuesday nights and I am thrilled that the good activity on Tuesday has held up over the winter months.

I did manage to get back on last night and made 14 QSOs. I had lots of problems that prevented me from turning the beam and twirling the tuning knob. I spent most of the evening hunting down some weird rf noise. I also had some switching power supply noise that covered 5 kHz right at 222.100.  Then I lost some RF output and could not figure that out.  I had spent the day tracking down some high VSWR on both the quad yagi and my LVA. I was up on the tower and checked the LVA at its' feed. It looked great!  I finally tracked the problem to a dirty 4 position motor driven coax relay. It was a Transco 1460 series 4PST type. The connections had developed quite a bit of series resistance. The weird part was that it did not look that bad on the TDR, so I did not catch it at first.

I never did get the antenna aimed out west and missed some contacts there for sure. Signals were quite weak with plenty of QSB.  At some point, I noted that my preamp had died. It was working fine in the afternoon, and I am afraid that I blew it out while trying to figure out what was wrong. (I need some re training after a long winter) The blown preamp took some wind out of my sails, but I made some more calls for awhile at 9 PM and found WA3NUF. Phil had a good signal on SSB, peaking at S7 or 8. Both K1PXE and WZIV worked Phil after 9PM and I could hear them also with their beams aimed SW.  I heard K2RMX with a great signal on SSB, but there was so much activity on 222.105, that I had no chance to call him without QRMing others. Many calls on 222.110 produced no contact.  Not having the internet chat room available might have hurt me, as I could not announce my frequency.  Radios do have a big knob on them, and it does not hurt to twirl it. There was lots of activity in MA running low power and small antennas. The activity there is impressive.

So I have a bunch of work left to get things running well on 222 MHz, but, at least, I am back on and it feels good to have things getting back to normal. Thanks to all who were on, and I promise to have things working a bit better next time.

73

Dave K1WHS