[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 15:09:58 -0400
Dust off your 222 MHz gear and see what you can work this evening on one of our best VHF bands.  In case you did not know, the background noise is significantly less than on 144 MHz and there is less RFI as well.  The downside is that coax losses go up a bit, but not a problem for most folks.  I am hoping to be on by 22:30 UT on 222.100 and looking for QSOS from FN43mj.   The activity usually lasts up until 01:30 or 02:00 UT here in the East.

Last week I tried some meteor scatter with W4ZST and we had some partial success in about 20 minutes of transmitting time.  We coordinated on the ON4KST Chat page. (144/432 Region 2)   So make a point to get on and try listening for some long haul beyond your normal range signals. Even if you are not successful, it can be loads of fun just digging for the weak ones!  Last week we had some significant activity in the SE as well as the midwest. That is very encouraging.

On a sad note we are all mourning the loss of long time VHF stalwart K2CBA, Jud Snyder. He passed away on Monday at age 90. He was one of the early VHFers in the same league as  W4HHK, W5RCI, W8PT, W1FZJ, W1OOP etc. I have a million K2CBA stories and will miss him greatly.

CU this evening on 222!

Dave K1WHS